Arriving Again!

December 8, 2022

 

My colleague, Joni Block, and I arrived last evening. As the plane approached the Kigali Airport through the dark sky, I am always remembering the very first time I came to Rwanda. I remember feeling a certain reverence, a sense of wonder, entering a space that seemed so new to me. A place with such a rich and complicated history especially in its relationship to the Western world. That Western vantage point, I had to acknowledge, is my own history, which was the starting point of my exploration of the Rwandan story as my association with the Maranyundo Initiative began. As the plane glides through that darkness, I think of my first visits here and as I woke up this morning, I went to the porch overlooking the quad. I thought of my first mornings waking up on the mist-enshrouded campus. That same sort of mist was rising from the damp grass today.  I read an early entry into my 2010 journal (that journal has evolved into this blog!). This is what I was learning then, in 2010:

It is fitting to be sitting here this morning contemplating the dawn and the beginning of light. The more I take in this place, this school, the more I am learning why it is that the people in Rwanda are hoping that education will allow their nation to heal and develop a new voice in the world community. I am not naïve to the fact that politics and the wretched history of Colonialism and suffering that is part of the legacy the West has left this nation will shape some of the tone and cadence of this voice. But here at the Maranyundo School, among the girls eager to learn, among the teachers eager to teach, among the sisters dedicated to serve, one can feel a strong possibility that the voice will be a woman’s voice, resonating with song and delight, but very strong, complex, ageless and deep.                                        March, 2010

And I know that this is still the deep truth and mission of this school.  

 

The Upcoming Schedules:

After the usual anxious moments waiting for our luggage to appear on the baggage loop,(it all came unscathed!), we drove to the school with Sister Evelyn. Upon arrival on the campus, the sisters greeted us with their usual warmth; they had prepared a lovely dinner for us in their Residence. The conversation was wonderful…catching up on the latest interests at the school, how the girls were preparing for the coming exams, how the garden was faring, the books that are most popular n the library (Michelle Obama is a favorite. A student made a poster for the library that has a picture of Michelle with the caption My Boss Lady.)

Over breakfast this morning, we began planning for the day wth Sister Laetitia that includes an afternoon meeting with Djamila Khamisi to plan for the second part of the PEBL Teaacher Trainings which will begin tomorrow. We will have a tour of the school today so Sister Laetitia can introduce Joni to the spaces and evolution of the campus. My day will conclude with an opportunity to share the school with my students in ED 189: The Role of Story in Education class.

As I have been hurrying to post this blog, the deep mist has cleared from the valleys so we can see the surrounding hills, the vivid greens, the “pops” of colorful flowers and some swatches of blue sky. Day One of this current adventure at MGS has begun. I look forward to sharing its wonder, accomplishments and new ventures with all of you.(And new photos!)

All the Best

Linda V. Beardsley

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment